AVPSN Radio Use Policy
In accordance with the AVPSN Bylaws, violation of this policy may be cause for revocation of membership and authorization to transmit on the AVPSN frequency:
- All members must comply with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Title 18 of the U.S. Code Section 1464, prohibiting obscene, indecent, or profane language or behavior.
- Do not transmit sensitive, confidential or financial information via the radio.
- Do not transmit without talking.
- Do not "Kerchunk" the repeater by pushing the transmit button momentarily to “test your radio or make sure the repeater is working”.
- Communication on the radio shall use the English language only. No codes or encrypted messages are allowed.
- Transmission of music and streaming of any audio is strictly prohibited.
- Do not use radio transmissions to directly or indirectly participate in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) a candidate for public office. Violation of this prohibition will jeopardize our 501(c)(3) public charity status.
- Do not give your AVPSN programmed radio to a non-member so that you may communicate with them. Membership is limited to residents of 95120 or those working in the 95120 area.
- Do not attempt to sign up a member living outside of 95120 using your own address located in 95120 to communicate with them.
- AVPSN will not program any other frequencies other than AVPSN on Channel 1 (One).
- Malicious activity on the radio will not be tolerated and can result in FCC fines.
How to Use The Radio
- Verify that you are on Channel 1. Ensure your volume is sufficient to receive transmissions.
- Ensure the channel is clear (no one else transmitting) before you pressing the talk (transmit) button.
- Hold the radio approximately 2 inches from your mouth.
- Push and hold the transmit button 2 seconds before starting to speak to ensure your first words are transmitted.
- Start by announcing your radio name and neighborhood.
- Always assume your transmission is heard by others.
Radio Net Check-in
- Daily at 7:45 pm on Channel 1.
- You are encouraged to check-in daily to practice using your radio, verifying it is working properly, ask questions, make comments, and share incidents, events, and announcements concerning our neighborhood.
- Wait for the net controller to request check-ins, then wait until no one else it talking.
- Check-in by stating your radio name and neighborhood. Then state “with a report, comment, announcement or question” if you have one. Then wait until the end of check-ins and net control gives you go-ahead.
- Let the Net Controller acknowledge check in's and to run the conversations.
Initiating a Call Outside of 7:45 Check-in
- Say the recipients radio name and neighborhood 2 times, followed by “this is _________” (your name and neighborhood).
- For all emergencies, call 911 or Local SJPD 408-277-8911 first, unless out of cell range. Then announce your emergency: “Break, Break, Break” state you radio name and neighborhood, then “I have an Emergency!” Someone will respond back. Explain the nature of your emergency, location such as trail marker or signs and advise help needed.
- Say “Over” when you have completed your message.
Maintaining Your Radio
- Keep the radio charged, with power ON.
- We recommend purchasing a spare battery for long term use in emergencies.
Thank you for participating in the Almaden Valley Public Safety Net!
Basic Radio Lingo:
|Be on the Lookout||(BOL) to announce vehicle and/or suspect's description, direction of travel, etc.|
|Break/Break/Break||Interrupting communication due to emergency!|
|Come in?||Ask other party to acknowledge they hear you|
|Comment?||If you have a report or wish to share event, etc.|
|Copy that||I understand you (Do not use 10-4)|
|Go ahead||Ready to receive transmission i.e. net control has recognized you|
|Nothing to report||During radio check-in if no information to share|
|Out||Stating your call sign and out indicates channel is clear|
|Question||Wait for Net Control to give go ahead|
|Radio Check||Can you hear me? Give your radio ID|
|Read back||Net control lists Radio ID's heard. If your ID is not listed. Repeat check-in.|
|Read aloud & clear||Response to "radio check"|
|Say again||Re-transmit your message|
|Standby||Acknowledge transmission but wait for reply|